Debt Relief Order

Learn more

How much debt do you have?

Roughly how much unsecured debts do you currently have? We can run a quick calculation to see check the amount of potential debt you could write off.

Debt Relief Orders

Debt Relief Orders (DROs) are one way to deal with your debts if you owe less than £20,000, don’t have much spare income and don’t own your home.

A DRO freezes debt repayments and interest and charges for 12 months. If your circumstances don’t improve in this time all of the debts included in the DRO are written off.

You must apply for a DRO via an approved organisation. Details of approved organisations are available at


You’re generally eligible if you meet all of these criteria:

  • You owe less than £30,000
  • You are not a homeowner
  • You’ve less than £75 surplus income per month after payment household bills and living costs
  • You’ve less than £2,000 worth of assets (you can own a vehicle in addition to this as long as it is worth less than £2,000)
  • You’ve lived or worked in England and Wales within the last 3 years
  • You haven’t applied for a DRO within the last 6 years

Key Facts

  • You don’t pay anything towards your debts for 12 months.
  • Your creditors cannot pursue you during this time
  • There is a one-off fee of £90 payable to The Insolvency Service to apply for a DRO
  • If your circumstances improve during the 12 months the DRO may be revoked.
  • Most debts are included in the DRO, however some are excluded and you will need to keep paying them. These include criminal fines, child maintenance, loans from DWP Social fund and debts that have been taken out fraudulently.


You must follow rules called ‘restrictions’ if you get a DRO.

This means you can’t:

  • borrow more than £500 without telling the lender about your DRO
  • act as the director of a company
  • create, manage or promote a company without the court’s permission
  • manage a business without telling those you do business with about yourDRO

Check if you qualify

Answer a few questions and get an instant online decision.

See if you qualify

Other Potential Debt Solutions

Designed to put you back on track


Help if your debts are over £5,000. An IVA can help clear up to 81% of unaffordable debts

More info

Debt Management

Help if you have debts of £2,000 or more. Reduce monthly payments

More info


Help if you have little or no disposable income

More info

Debt Relief Order

For those with little spare income and low value assets

This page

Money Helper is an important service set up by the Government. They provide free debt counseling, debt adjustment and credit information.


We specialise in providing and administering Individual Voluntary Arrangement (“IVA”) solutions to individuals based in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. We do not administer Debt Management Plans, Debt Relief Orders, or any other debt solutions.


Sarah North is authorised in the UK to act as Insolvency Practitioner by the Insolvency Practitioners Association


National Debt Advice (UK) is a trading name of Abbotts Insolvency Ltd. Registered Address: Sandfold House, Sandfold Lane, Levenshulme, M19 3BJ. Tel: 01625 801007.


We only provide advice after completing or receiving an initial fact find where the individual(s) concerned meets the criteria for an IVA, therefore, all advice is given in reasonable contemplation of an insolvency appointment.

We are a fully licensed and regulated insolvency practice specialising in the provision of Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVA’s). In 2020 we helped over 500 people successfully enter an IVA and supported a further 2,700 people by referring them to a fee free or charitable debt advice service provider.

*The amount of debt write off is based on your own personal circumstances.
As of 28th September 2021, 37% of customers are estimated to write off 81% or more of unsecured debts included in the IVA. is not affiliated with the Charity National Debtline run by The Money Advice Trust ( or Money Helper (formerly The Money Advice Service) which is a free service et up by the Government to help people make the most of their money. If you would like to learn more click here. The Insolvency Service, an independent government agency, provides guidance on dealing with your debts. To access this guidance please click here.